Legislative information from Jessica Monahan, Associate Legislative Director – Transportation with the National Association of Counties.
For additional information please contact Jessica at 202.942.4217.
Update on FAST Act Implementation
Since the Fixing America’s Surface Transportation (FAST) Act passed in December, the U.S. Department of Transportation (DOT) has taken steps to implement the new “law of the land.” Last month, DOT issued the formal apportionment notice and other documents that let states begin using funds allocated to their highway programs under the FAST Act. Additionally, the Department has started to post guidance, fact sheets and other information on its website.
Also of note, the Secretary has announced that the Department will publish a Notice of Funding Opportunity this month requesting applications of the new Nationally Significant Freight and Highway Projects (NSFHP) program. The NSFHP program was established under the FAST Act and is authorized a total of $4.5 billion for FYs 2016-2020, including $800 million for FY 2016. Specifically, DOT will be seeking transformative, nationally and regionally specific highway, rail, port and intermodal freight projects that have an estimated total project cost in excess of $100 million. Ten percent of authorized funding for this program will be reserved for small projects. Here you will find DOT’s NSFHP fact sheet.
Additional FAST Act resources can be found below:
- NACo Fact Sheet and Summary of the FAST Act: http://www.naco.org/resources/fast-act-and-county-surface-transportation-priorities
- FAST Act Text: https://www.gpo.gov/fdsys/pkg/CRPT-114hrpt357/pdf/CRPT-114hrpt357.pdf
- DOT FAST Act Website: https://www.transportation.gov/fastact/
- FHWA FAST Act Website: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/fastact/index.cfm
- FHWA FAST Act Fact Sheets: https://www.fhwa.dot.gov/fastact/factsheets/
- FTA FAST Act Website: